I am often asked the question: “How did you write your book?”
When I began my journey to feature the stories of 10 entrepreneurial women, I considered the book stats and was surprised that 80% of the population would like to write a book; but only 2% actually publish and sell more than 5,000 copies.
Never-the-less, there are some amazing inspirational stories about authors who despite rejection after rejection keep pushing forward with the drive, determination and discipline to publish and succeed!
My objective: tell the stories of “ordinary women who do extra ordinary things.” Sharing their journey to inspire others so that you too can pursue your dreams by starting a new career or business and perhaps take that leap of faith and enjoy the risk and reward of being self-employed.
To quote Audrey Hepburn: “nothing is impossible, the word itself says “I’m possible.”
So with a clear focus, here are a few things to consider:
- How much time do you have to devote to writing?
– there will be opportunity costs to consider
- What do you want to write about?
– this is where you decide on both genre and subject matter
- When do you want to publish? One year, two?
– depends on #1 – how much time is available to write
- Are you going to self-publish or find a publisher?
– I’ve tried both – pros and cons for each
- Create the outline
– I used a goal setting technique to develop a schedule for completion
- Create a formula for interest and consistency; below is my formula:
– develop a questionnaire, then interview, write the chapter, and confirm content
- Compile the chapters and reconfirm your message
-ask a trusted colleague or friend for feedback
– find an editor who can scrub the words and check grammar
- Make the changes and rewrite if necessary
-keep you published date in mind; then…
- Manuscript is ready to publish!
Now, the PR, marketing, advertising, layout and visual image begin and that is a whole other segment in your chapter of the journey to become a published author.
My three words of advice: “pursue your dreams” – become part of the 2%.
It is truly a very rewarding experience.
Visit: https://phaze2wellness.com/innovation-collaboration-entrepreneurship/- and share your story in Volume 2!